Freitag, 23. September 2011

Resurrected Project - ?69 Camaro

I started this Monogram Camaro back in the ‘90s.  I was swapping in a Big-Block and putting a C4 Corvette front suspension under the front end. 

I machined and made a lot of parts and sub-assemblies before realizing I could not make parts to the level I wanted.  Mainly, not having the ability to make small fasteners that would look like they were in scale is the reason I set it aside.  I also did not plan out the project as whole, but built it in sub-assemblies learning as I went, but not paying attention to how I would make them all work together.  I guess I thought I could just “plug” the new parts into where the original parts went.  All fine and dandy… until I made too many changes and lost some mounting points.

So I disassembled much of it and bagged & tagged (thankfully) some of the loose parts.  Some ended up in box in my shop.  Some (including the body and chassis) sat in a large Frisbee not far from my mill.  It is amazing I only lost one piece (that I know of), and found it after only five minutes of looking.

I have decided since I can now make the parts that hindered its progress some 13-14 years ago that it was time to play with it again.

Originally I had planned it to be a mid to late 80’s hot-rodded Camaro.  Weekend grudge match racer, possible daily driver, in a similar vein as the way I treated my Camaro back then.  Considering what I have done already, I think it wise to continue that path at this point…

 

Here is the undignified condition of the parts as I began to inventory them today…

I did get some chemical etching on the body, but nothing too bad.

The chassis was missing a brass sub-frame connector.  Most of the front suspension was machined out of aluminum.

 

A brake rotor with no hub, yeah, but it does have a backing plate.  I was so into figuring out how to make vented rotors I missed that detail, but then I hadn’t made the wheels yet either… 

That rotor just looks wrong, they will have to go, but it was the precursor to how I subsequently made the front rotors on one of the Super Sevens, so it served its purpose in the long run…

 

Source: http://cs.scaleautomag.com/SCACS/forums/thread/978707.aspx

Teo Fabi Pascal Fabre Carlo Facetti

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen